Picard - my Ship's Log - part 1
Published by AxiomEval on
Wherein I fall back on a centuries old technique for logging everything.
What is the problem this solves?
- It is hard to remember where things go
- Any organisational system inevitably becomes too complicated and takes too much time if we structure things too much up front
- A lack of customisation and inflexible tools do not meet our requirements
What is this solution?
- use daily notes to log everything
- log with flexible tools and just enough structure with categories that work for the important elements in your life
- figure out an automatic technique and use tools for aggregating or surfacing the information in ways that work for you
I use a setup including:
- The Obsidian Quickadd Plugin
- Some structure around things I want to log (my inspiration is The Code. The Evaluation. The Protocols - Jocko Willink)
An example daily note capturing items I log with the QuickAdd plugin looks something like the below.
My setup then includes:
- Obsidian pages specifically designed to aggregate and surface what I have logged across my daily notes through time
- Obsidian Dataview queries provide the querying capability
- A Media Log page tracking all the TV and films I have watched
- A Discoveries Log page tracking discoveries I make over time
A screenshot of part of my Discoveries Log page is below.